Monday, June 21, 2010

Hey, Soul Sister


So I’m sure most people have heard the song Hey, Soul Sister on the radio. Baby girl and I love to rock out to it in the car. And by rock out I do not mean we do the 80’s hairband nod. It’s just such a feel good song. We love to sing along at the top of our lungs and I love watching baby girl in the mirror as she happily wiggles along to the music. When I am switching stations and happen to pass this song, she will yell “This one mommy!” So I was surprised when I heard the radio announcer declare it was by Train after one especially happy dance off. I thought, “Hey, I know Train! They had that one song, it was really popular several years ago……what was it called?” (I have since googled it, and it was Drops of Jupiter.) I have a vague recollection of a cute guy, brown hair, etc. from the first big hit. So imagine my surprise when I finally saw the video for this newest song by Train. Is there a mouth hanging open icon somewhere??? Not a drooly one but one where you are seriously shocked speechless in a not good way. What the heck happened? It was like a bad car accident that you can’t look away from, a woman walking by with her skirt tucked into her chonies, broccoli in the TEETH! I don’t know who the singer was but he was not the memory I had of him. It was like watching a sort of younger version of Mick Jagger in tight pants and craggle face. Now I know there were/are many women (and maybe men) who thought/think Mick was/is a hottie. I am truly not one of them. There is something so off about the way he moves around the stage and poses and it just creeps me out. Plus he has this huge mouth that makes me feel like he is thinking of all the ways he can eat you with it. Like a Brothers Grimm nightmare come true. Again, some of you may be wondering what is wrong with this but it’s just the contradiction of the song and then the face. Feel good, remember???? Pat Monohan/Mick Jagger, not feel good. Now I cannot hear this song without getting an image of Mick Jagger in my head and so I find myself trying to switch the station as fast as I can before baby girl hears it so that I will not be stuck listening to 3:37 minutes of mental picture hell! Thank you Pat Monohan for your ugly tight pants that show off your moose knuckle even if we don’t want to see it, that are NOT cool anymore! And what is with the side-kicks? We have Howie Mandell on one side playing guitar and the little hobbit guy from Lord of the Rings. What happened to this band? Do I just have a distorted memory? For your comparison and pleasurable viewing (NOT):



1 comment:

Z-Mama said...

I've never heard that song before...I totally like it! I know I live in a bubble!!!